Location: 1418 and 1428 4th Ave E
|Fuller House 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives||
Fuller House today (2015), photo by Deb Ross
William Fuller worked in a variety of trades in the early part of the 20th century in Olympia. He and his wife Dorothy, a writer, built this home around 1928. According to the inventory listing, it is a Dawley Brothers design, assisted by Mrs. Fuller. The Dawleys designed and built many commercial and residential structures in Olympia. They were unusual in having their own in-house designers and architects. The house is perched well above grade on Fourth Avenue, in a Craftsman design.
Next door to the Fuller home was the W.D. Fuller Store, later known as the Central Drug store (not pictured). The Fullers operated this store for only two years, and then it was operated by the Gunstones, whose home was nearby. It was a Bigelow Highlands neighborhood fixture for many years. The building still exists but has been much altered.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross