Location: 331 Rogers St NW
|Gilbert House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives||Gilbert House now (2013), photo by Deb Ross|
This is another example of the modest but attractive homes that were built by J.R. Chaplin in order to induce immigrants to come to Olympia and participate in the development of his utopian college and community (see also the McClelland House nearby). Although the college venture was a failure, Chaplin did manage to induce several families to relocate to Olympia. Frank and Nancy Gilbert arrived here from New York, already quite elderly, in their 70s, and it’s not clear what induced them to come. Frank listed his occupation as miller before he left New York but was retired by the time the Gilberts arrived here. Frank died soon after his arrival, and Nancy in 1915.
The Gilbert House was erected around 1900. It is built in a pioneer style and has attractive decorative features including shingling and a small window under the eaves with a pediment. The house is on the local register.