Location: 501 4th Ave E
|Kelley Building, 1964, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives|
Kelley Building today (2013), photo by Deb Ross
The Kelley building was erected in 1923 and remains one of the largest commercial buildings in downtown Olympia. John Kelley established his furniture store in here 1904 on the then-Swantown Slough waterfront at Fourth and Cherry, then moved to the Hale Block, where, confusingly, there is still a sidewalk inscribed J.E. Kelley. The current building is just across the street from the Hale Block. It has been nicely preserved and is on the local register.