Category Archives: Image Bibliography

Downtown Olympia Historical Postcard Display

The Olympia Historical Society has collaborated with the Olympia Heritage Commission and the Olympia Downtown Association to create a display depicting historic Capitol Way (Main Street) and Fourth Avenue. Following are the photographs that are on display, currently at the Welcoming Center in the historic Rex Building. Links are to the Where Are We? pages for these locations. Thank you to a private collector for use of these images, and to Tim Ransom for captions. Please use citation: Private Postcard collection, courtesy of Olympia Historical Society, when using these images.

 


Fourth  Avenue looking east from just west of Capitol Way. Buildings visible in this photograph include the Mottman Building (left foreground); Chambers Block; Turner Building. Streetcar is turning the corner from Main Street (Capitol Way)

 


Main Street (Capitol  Way) looking south from just north of Fourth Avenue. Buildings visible include on left Turner Block and Pacific Building next to it; on right – McKenny Building/Kneeland Hotel; Odd Fellows Hall

 


Main Street (Capitol Way) looking north from around 9th Avenue. The tall building to the left is the Governor Hotel, across from Sylvester Park. The spire in the distance is the Odd Fellows Building.

 


Fourth Avenue looking west from Franklin Street. The building in the left foreground is the Rex building; just beyond  it are the White Building, Gottfeld’s and the tall Security Building. On the right is the Avalon office building, and further on down the State Theatre marquis is just visible.

 


Fourth Avenue looking east from Washington Street. In the foreground left is the Columbia Building, followed by the Liberty Cafe and the Avalon Theatre. On the right is the White Building and Gottfeld’s. This photograph was taken before the 1949 earthquake provided the impetus to make Fourth Avenue one-way.


Fourth Avenue looking east, at the corner of Capitol Way. On the left is the Chambers Block, and on the right the Capital National Bank. Taken before the 1949 earthquake.

 


Fourth Avenue looking west from Washington Street. On the right side of the street are the Boardman, Baretich, and the Spar buildings, followed by the Chambers Block and, on the far side of Capitol Way, the three story Mottman Building. This photo was taken before the 1949 earthquake.

 


Capitol Way looking north from about Fifth Avenue. At the right is the Pacific Building (before the earthquake reduced its height to one story), the Capital National Bank building. At the left is Crane’s Cafe and the McKenny Block (Kneeland Hotel), followed by the Mottman Building. In the far distance are the smokestacks of the veneer factories. Taken before the earthquake but after termination of the trolleycar down Capitol.

Fifth Avenue, looking east across Capitol Way. At the left is the Olympia National Bank building, at the right the Walker Building. 

 


Another view of Capitol Way looking north. This is taken from the intersection with Legion Way. At the right we start with the Stuart Building, and can see the Harris Dry Goods store and the Pacific Building before the earthquake reduced it to one story. At the left we can see the Neuffer Jeweler’s Building and the floral shop (which is still a floral shop in 2012).

 


An older photo of Fourth Avenue, looking west. The building with the cupola is the Columbia Hall, which was the original City Hall and a near-twin to the original Capitol Building. Across the street from it is the White House.

 


Capitol Way (then called Main Street) looking north. On the right is the Stuart Block, with the Harris Dry Goods building north of the two smaller buildings. At the left can be seen the tower of the Odd Fellows Building. The trolley is making its way along the street.

Posted in Image Bibliography | Comments Off on Downtown Olympia Historical Postcard Display

Miscellaneous Images

These images have been contributed to the Society by members and friends, or are in the public domain. Please use the appropriate reference when citing.

 

 

 

Three images of the Governor Hotel, provided by Tim Ransom

 


Fourth Avenue drawspan in about 1899, courtesy of Ed Echtle

 


Ralph’s Thriftway and Yacht Club in 1972, Port of Olympia collection, Southwest Regional Archives

Posted in Image Bibliography | Comments Off on Miscellaneous Images

Selected Photographs from Susan Parish Collection

The Southwest Region of the Washington State Archives has acquired over 9,000 photographs from the collection of Susan Parish, a collector and photographer. This page reproduces several of these photographs, which are now in the public domain. Please include the citation when duplicating any of these images.


North Coast Transportation Department, Olympia, Wa, 1937, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


Shell Oil Station at 421 Jefferson St., Olympia, WA, 1942, by Vibert jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


Shell Gas Station, Olympia, Wa, 1950, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


Reed Building, 208 Legion Way, SE, Olympia WA, ca. 1935, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


Shell Storage at Southwest corner of Capitol and Legion, 1932, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


5th Avenue Restaurant, Olympia, Wa, 1938, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


Washington Street at Christmas, Olympia, Wa, 1931, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


5th Avenue looking West, 1942, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.


Avalon Theater, Olympia, Wa, 1936, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.

Oldsmobile Shop, 1936, by Vibert Jeffers. Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives.

Olympian Olympian, Jeffers, 1954. Susan Parish Photograph Collections, Washington State Archives

Providence Academy by Jeffers, 1943. Susan Parish Photograph Collections, Washington State Archives


Sylvester Park, ca. 1950. Susan Parish Photograph Collections, Washington State Archives

Miller’s Department Store by Jeffers, 1949. Susan Parish Photograph Collections, Washington State Archives

 

Alfred William Leach Post No. 3 Band at the Winged Victory Monument. Susan Parish Photograph Collections, Washington State Archives

Fourth Avenue bridge in 1950s, Susan Parish Photograph Collection, Washington State Archives

 

Capitol Chevrolet, 1942, Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives

funkvolland_OlympiaCentennialParadeMay1950_192

Centennial Parade, 1950, with Funk-Volland Building in background, Bathing Beauties float, Merle Junk Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives

AR_ParishCollections_Jeffers_ElksClubJune1933

Members of Elks Club in front of Elks Building, 1933, Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Washington State Archives

 

Posted in Image Bibliography | Comments Off on Selected Photographs from Susan Parish Collection

Furgison collection

Krystalyn Furgison’s father-in-law was given a collection of 39 glass plate negatives, mostly depicting Olympia area residents from around the turn of the 20th century. Ms. Furgison has meticulously researched the photographs and agreed to share them with the Society and Museum’s website. Following is a PDF containing the results of Ms. Furgison’s research. Individual glass negatives will also be found in the Residents section of our website, to the extent they can be identified. Thank you to Ms. Furgison for agreeing to share her research with us! 

Glass Negatives in Furgison collection

Posted in Image Bibliography | Comments Off on Furgison collection