Location: 209 4th Ave E
Downtown National Historic District
|Fourth Avenue looking east, 1940s, private collection||
White Building today (2014), photo by Deb Ross
The White Building on Fourth Avenue, built about 1908, is one of the oldest existing important downtown commercial structures. It was built by Allen White, a co-owner of the Springer and White Mill that was located nearby at the north end of the Jefferson Street. The American Renaissance style building retains its decorative swags and ornate cornice, but the clerestory windows that were once over the entryway have been stuccoed over (see the 1940s photo at above left: the White Building is the nearest building on the right side of Fourth Avenue). For many years this was the home of the Reder Grocery. The upstairs was operated as a rooming house, called the White House, owned by A.J. (Tony) Frisch. The building is in the Downtown National Historic District and listed as Historic Contributing.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross