Location: 500 Capitol Way S
Local Register, National Historic Downtown District, Wohleb
Musgrove Shoe Store about 1917, Image courtesy of Washington State Historical Society
Walker Building today (2012), Photo by Matthew Kennelly
Built in 1917 on one of the most important corners in downtown Olympia, the Walker Building is typical of commercial structures that were being built during the early part of the 20th century. Then, as now, the ground floor housed retail businesses while the upper floor was offices. It was designed by Joseph Wohleb.
The Musgrove Shoe Store that was located here was owned by Stuart Musgrove. His wife, Katherine Eugley Musgrove, ran a millinery store around the corner on Legion Way.
Washington State Historical Society photographs (enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box): C1961.1185.5 (above picture)
National Historic Downtown District
For further information about the Musgrove and Eugley families, see Site of Musgrove Millinery and Residents (M) and (E) pages of our website
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross