Tag Archives: South Capitol

Brazel House

Location: 116 18th St SE
South Capitol National Historic District 

Brazel_1939Brazel house in 1939, photo from Thurston County assessor’s records, Washington State Archives Brazel House

Brazel House today (2010) photograph by
Deb Ross 

The Brazel House on 18th Street was built by George Brazel in about 1891. It is an unusual design for Olympia with its mansard roof. Brazel was a builder and the family was and is well established in Olympia. The house has not been inventoried but is in the South Capitol National Historic District, and is a fine example of a well preserved home in this neighborhood.

Additional information:

South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood

Washington State Historical Society photograph, enter the following catalog number in collection search box: C1964.26.4.24.4

For more information on the Brazel family, see the Residents section of this website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Posted in Locations of Historic Interest | Tagged | Comments Off on Brazel House

George House

Location: 125 17th St SE
Local Register, South Capitol National Historic District

George House_1936George House, 1936, photo from Thurston County Assessor, Washington State Archives George House

George House today (2010) photograph by
Deb Ross 

The George House was built about 1896 and was later sold to Orville George, a grocer. His son Marion George ran the M.E. George grocery located in the Angelus Hotel building downtown.  The house is a modest, but well preserved example of a Pioneer style home, and is on the local register, besides being located in the South Capitol National Historic District.

Additional links:

Olympia Heritage inventory

South Capitol Neighborhood National Historic District 

Washington State Historical Society photograph (items in bold face indicate a scanned image is available): C1964.26.4.24.6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Posted in Locations of Historic Interest | Tagged | Comments Off on George House