Location: 220 Union Ave SE
Local register, Women’s History, Religious Institutions
|YWCA (Kearney House) 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society||Kearney House now, photo by YWCA of Olympia|
This fine Foursquare style home is one of several that graced Union Avenue in the early 20th century. Built in 1907, it was owned by the Kearney family, who operated a local grocery store. In 1948, the home was acquired by a local branch of the Young Women’s Christian Associaton (YWCA), spearheaded by Mildred Lemon, a member of the prominent Lemon family. The house is important for its contribution to women’s history of Olympia as well as its fine construction and preservation. It is on the local register and listed as a contributing structure in the National Women’s History of Olympia register.
Washington State Historical Society (enter the following catalog number in Collections Search box), C1918.104.22.168.26.1.13