Location: 703 Rogers NW
Religious communities, Schools
|West Side Chapel, 1961, courtesy Washington State Historical Society|
West Side chapel today (2012) , photograph by Deb Ross
The West Side Chapel was founded in 1891, when West Olympia was growing rapidly. It was associated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance, a movement devoted to building churches in blighted urban areas. Although West Olympia was never “blighted,” it was the home of many working class families around this time. The trolley tracks extended down Rogers Street past the church. This building was erected in 1918. It is an unassuming Crafstman style building. The steeple, which was still in existence at the time of the city inventory of historic structures in the 1980s, has since been removed. It is currently used as a daycare center, and is on the inventory but not the local register.
Washington State Historical Society (enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box), C1959.2.10; C19188.8.131.52.26.1.14