Location: 1601 Sylvester St SW
South Capitol National Historic District
|Titus (Smith Troy) House, 1939, Thurston County Assessor, Southwest Regional Archives||Titus (Smith Troy) House today (2015), Photo by Deb Ross|
The Titus House lies at the far northwest corner of the South Capitol National Historic Neighborhood, and adjacent to Capitol Campus. It has been characterized as the premier home in the South Capitol neighborhood. It was designed by the architectural firm of Hill, Mock, and Griffin in a “French eclectic” style, and built in 1923. The owner was Allen Titus, who bought a small automobile dealership and built it up to one of the area’s largest. In the same year this home was built, Titus erected the flamboyant Olympia Motors building on Fourth Avenue. He later owned dealerships throughout the northwest and his name survives as the Titus-Will Auto Dealership.
Later this home was owned by Attorney General Smith Troy, a descendant of the pioneer Troy family (see Troy House). At one time Governor Mon Wallgren proposed that the state acquire the home as a guest residence, but Troy disssuaded him. It has always been in private hands. The home is in a national historic neighborhood but is not individually on any register.
Washington State Historical Society (enter the following catalog number in Collections Search box: C1918.104.22.168