Location: 414 Water St SW
Transportation, mid-Century modern
Dunkin & Barnes Stable and Veterinary, 1914, photo by Robert Esterly, courtesy of Washington State Historical Society
Location today (2012), photo by Deb Ross
The photograph at above left is another example of Robert Esterly’s valuable project of photographing Olympia’s commercial and industrial enterprises with their owners. The stable and veterinary surgery pictured here was on Water Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues. The businesses in the area were largely geared towards the important water-based interests of the city but there were at least two stables in this part of town. In this photograph from 1914 we see the beginning of the transition from horse-drawn surface transportation to the automobile.
According to Thurston County Assessor’s records, the building currently at this location was built in 1962 and is a one-story masonry building, with some interesting period features. It is not inventoried
Washington State Historical Society photographs enter the following catalog number in Collections Search box: 2010.149.35.1
For more information on John Barnes and his family, see the Residents section of this website.
Copyright © 2022 Deborah Ross