The April 13, 1949 earthquake resulted in damage to or destruction of several downtown Olympia buildings. Here, a barber sets up temporary “shop” along Fourth Avenue, across from the Kneeland Hotel, which had to be demolished after the quake. (This is now the location of the Schoenfeld Furniture building). Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For more information, visit us at olympiahistory.org. Unknown photographer, 1949, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives
Kneeland Hotel demolition and outdoor barbershop – 4/17/16
This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.