Woodruff Park

Location: 221 Perry St NW
Diversity: Lesbian and Gay History

We are looking for vintage photographs of Woodruff Park. If you have one to share, please contact usOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWoodruff Park today (2014) Photo courtesy of Deb Ross

In 1889, Samuel Woodruff, member of a pioneer family, acquired a large parcel of land in West Olympia and platted the Woodruff Addition. It consisted of hundreds of lots and several blocks stretching along the hillside above Budd Inlet. At the hill’s summit, Woodruff donated a block to the City of Olympia for use as a public park.

The park at one time had a water tower on it, which has been removed. For many years, starting in the 1980s and continuing to the present, the Gay Men’s Social Network has held potlucks, volleyball tournaments, and games here.

For further information and links, see the following:

Olympia Heritage inventory

Olympia Gay and Lesbian History Walking Tour

Woodruff family, see Residents section of this website

 

 

This entry was posted in Locations after M. Bookmark the permalink.