Winstanley House

Location: 127 17th Ave SW
Local register; South Capitol National Historic District

Winstanley House_1938Winstanley House 1938, Thurston County Assessor, Washington State ArchivesOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWinstanley House today (2013), photo by Deb Ross

This house was built about 1910 by Guy Winstanley, who was a partner with Robert Blankenship in a downtown tobacco shop (see article Meet the Yantises and Blankenships). The shop was a popular gathering place for locals and politicians, and Winstanley served for a time on the Olympia City Council and an active member of the Elks. The house is built in the emerging Craftsman style and has a rather whimsical English Revival detailing at the second floor. As can be seen from comparing the two photographs above, it has been meticulously preserved. It is on the local register and in the South Capitol National Historic District.

Additional resources:

Olympia Heritage inventory

South Capitol National Historic District

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This entry was posted in Locations after M and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.