Location: 415 12th Ave SW
Washington State Capitol National Historic District; Diversity: African-Americans
|Temple of Justice, 1929, Susan Parish Photograph Collection, Digital Archives||Temple of Justice today (2012) photograph by Matt Kennelly|
The Temple of Justice was the first building to be constructed on Capitol Campus following the original Wilder and White plan. It was begun in 1913, and finally completed in 1920. A tramway was constructed leading up to the Capitol bluff from a spot near the Northern Pacific depot; stones were from the Wilkeson quarry, as were all the stones in the primary buildings on Campus. The building is in a dignified, monumental classic style, as befits its status as the home of one of the three branches of Washington State government. The building was damaged during both the 1949 and 2001 earthquakes, but restored to its original condition.
The development of Capitol Campus necessitated the moving or destruction of many homes. Among those located at the Temple of Justice site were the large Italianate Milo Root home, a photograph of which is catalogued in the link below; and the Quincy-Campbell home. African-American Festus Campbell and his long-term companion Mary Quincy owned a home with an extensive garden here. Campbell was active in the horticultural society and won a medal for his produce at the Seattle Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition.
For more information follow these links:
Washington State Historical Society, Milo Root home, (enter the following catalog numbers in Collections Search box): C1943.1006.6