Throughout 2023 we’ll be exploring the origins of area place names. Talcott Avenue, in downtown Olympia, is named for the Talcott family, early Olympia settlers. Charles Talcott came west with his family in 1872 and opened his jewelry store on Main Street (now Capitol Way). He was later joined by his two brothers, Grant and George Noyes Talcott. The three brothers are pictured here in front of the store. The Talcott Building still exists and is on the local Heritage Register. Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross, Olympia Historical Society.
State Library Collection, Washington State Archives