Throughout 2023 we’ll be exploring the origins of area place names. In the early 20th century, Reverend and Mrs. Francis Yauger purchased 410 acres of investment land in the Cooper Point Road area. Part of the property was sold and eventually became the Capital Mall; another part became the Capital High School campus. The Yaugers’ son, Colonel Kendall Yauger, and Kendall’s sister Ruth Yauger, pictured here, later sold the land that became Yauger Park. Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum, olympiahistory.org.
1929 College of Puget Sound Yearbook