Pacific House – 4/23/17

The Pacific House was one of the earliest hotel/restaurants in Olympia, at the corner of what is now State Avenue and Capitol Way. In 1859, African-American Rebecca Groundage Howard took over its management and soon became famous all over the northwest for her hospitality and good food. In this photo from 1902, the building is in decline. Image selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. More information is available at olympiahistory.org. 

William Romans photograph, 1902, courtesy Washington State Historical Society

This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.