Olympia Canning – 8/14/16

OlympiaCanningCo_1948

The Olympia Canning Company was established in the Port of Olympia around 1912 and took up an entire block between A and B Avenues. The company processed fruit, vegetables, fish, and shellfish. The company employed many girls and women, some as young as 11 or 12. In this photograph from 1948, a worker is processing pears. The company was here until 1959.Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. More information is available at olympiahistory.org. Vibert Jeffers photograph, 1948, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives

This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.