Chimes of Normandy – 5/3/2020

Our focus this month is Thurston County’s long love affair with amateur theatrics. In this image from 1888, members of the St. John’s Musical Society perform a number from the operetta The Chimes of Normandy.  It was staged at Columbia Hall, one of the earliest performing arts venues in Olympia. Proceeds of the production helped in the acquisition of a pipe organ for the church. Photograph selected by costumier Melanie Ransom on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum.

A.D. Rogers Photo, 1888, State Capital Museum collection, Washington State Historical Society

This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.