Barker Motors – 10/11/15

barker

At the outset of the automotive era, Capitol Way became part of the main north-south thoroughfare of the West Coast, first designated the Pacific Highway, then renamed State Route 1, and, in 1926, US 99.  Automobile dealerships, filling stations, motels, and restaurants lined the “main drag” to serve America on the move. The Barker Motors dealership and filling station shown here was adjacent to the Governor Hotel and just uphill from the Northern Pacific depot on Water Street (whose sign can be seen at the right of this image). Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For more information, visit us at olympiahistory.org. 1942, Vibert Jeffers Photograph, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives

This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.