The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Building, shown here, stood on Fifth Avenue, where the Washington Business Bank is now. Telephone service was available in Olympia by 1889. In 1908, the California conglomerate Pacific Tel &Tel acquired the local telephone franchise from the Sunset Telephone Company. It erected this structure in the 1920s. In the 1930s, Pacific Tel & Tel moved to the so-called Fleetwood building (named after Olympia’s local Fleetwood telephone exchange). Photograph selected and captioned by Deborah Ross on behalf of the Olympia Historical Society and Bigelow House Museum. For additional information, visit olympiahistory.org. Vibert Jeffers photograph, 1920s, Susan Parish Collection, Southwest Regional Archives
Pacific Tel building – 6/12/16
This entry was posted in Looking Back - Images from page 2 of the Sunday Olympian. Bookmark the permalink.